final full-course caution. Both drivers avoided injury. Before the incident, Herbert posted the fastest Touring Car lap of the race at 1:25.101 (76.144 mph).
Todd Lamb, of Atlanta, Ga. took second in Touring Car in the No. 71 National Karting News/HPD Honda Civic Si, followed by Anthony Rapone, of Thornhill, Ontario, Canada, who finished third in the No. 81 Durabond Racing Honda Civic Si. Rapone earned the Sunoco Hard Charger Award after advancing 18 positions from start to finish. Fourth in Touring Car went to Gustavo Michelsen, of Lima, Peru, in the No. 69 TLMUSA.com Honda Civic Si and Shea Holbrook, of Groveland, Fla., completed the Touring Car podium with a fifth-place run in the No. 67 TrueCar.com Honda Civic Si.
Touring Car racer Roberto Ricciardelli, of Venezuela, won the Optima Batteries Best Standing Start Award in the No. 63 TLMUSA.com Volkswagen Jetta GLI.
It will be a quick turnaround, and in many cases, a long night ahead for World Challenge teams to get ready for tomorrow's second race of the St. Pete doubleheader. The race goes off from a standing start at 11:00 a.m. ET and will again be available live on www.world-challengeTV.com. Both races of the Acura Sports Car Challenge doubleheader will air on NBC Sports Network on April 8 at 4:30 p.m. ET.
For more information, please visit www.world-challenge.com.
Follow World Challenge on Twitter @WCRacing.
ST PETERSBURG, Fla. - Results from Saturday's 27-lap 48.6-mile Pirelli World Challenge Championships Round 1 race, part of the Acura Sports Car Challenge presented by Pirelli at the Honda Grand Prix of St. Petersburg, with finishing position, class, starting position in parentheses, driver, hometown, car, laps and reason out (if any).
1. GT, (3), Lawson Aschenbach, Darnestown, Md., Porsche 911 GT3, 27.
2. GT, (4), Johnny O'Connell, Flowery Branch, Ga., Cadillac CTS-V Coupe, 27, -2.020.
3. GT, (6), James Sofronas, Newport Beach, Calif., Porsche 911 GT3, 27, -3.208.
4. GT, (5), Alex Figge, Denver, Colo., Volvo S60 AWD, 27, -5.552.
5. GT, (2), Andy Pilgrim, Marina Del Rey, Fla., Cadillac CTS-V Coupe, 27, -7.634.
6. GT, (10), Tomy Drissi, Hollywood, Calif., Porsche 911 GT3, 27, -10.676.
7. GT, (12), Jeff Courtney, Milwaukee, Wis., 27, -11.861.
8. GT, (14), Tony Gaples, Lincolnshire, Ill., Chevrolet Corvette, 27,